Discharging from the ADF ???

Hi TM readers,

I received a email from one of our TM newsletter subscribers requesting if i could put some information out on discharging. Obviously things are a little different these days to when i discharged so i did some digging and i contacted a couple of my old mates who are still serving. This is what i found.

This link will take you to the Member’s Guide to ADF Pay and Conditions of Service:


This link will take you to a great list of things like Travel, Clothing, Joining and leaving the ADF, Compensation, Super, salaries etc. This guide was published in 2006 but i have been told this is still a up to date copy however i can not guarantee this to be true. So please get in contact with your pay clerks/writers for further information, or contact your divisional Officer. I have been informed that travel has or is going to change.

On discussion with my current serving friends i found that you have a right to access you medical records under the freedom of information act.

How to Obtain Service & Medical Records

In an effort to streamline the process of acquiring documents to support claims for compensation through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, you can apply for copies of your Service or medical records on the internet through the Department of Defence website.

If you are a former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and you wish to have access to your Service or medical records, or if you are an advocate of an ExService Organisation assisting with a claim, you can apply for these records through the Ex-Serving Member Service / Medical Records Freedom of Information  website of the Department of Defence.

Older records

Army medical records for people discharged prior to 1947 and Air Force medical records for people discharged prior to 1952 are held by the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)therefore, if your request falls within this period, please contact DVA.

If you are requesting service records of an Australian member who served during World War I and World War II it is recommended that you contact the National Archives of Australia (NAA) in the first instance.

If you have any issues you can contact the RSL National  or any RSL in your area. The members have a wealth of knowledge in regards to Vet affairs and are always willing to give you a hand.

I hope this helps you Tim and to the rest of our readers.

If you have any questions that you would like us at Talking Military to look in to for you please sign up to our newsletter or email us at talkingmilitary@outlook.com.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.